THE                               PAGE

The 16 ft Skiff class was founded in 1901 in Sydney and was immediately popular as a cheaper alternative to the 18 footers with their massive sail area. The class soon spread to Queensland and the first national titles were held in 1908. The class was introduced into WA in the 1920's and Victoria in 1944. 
!6 footers sailed at Sandringham YC and Royal Brighton YC from 1944 until the mid-fifties. They were reintroduced to Victoria in the mid 1980's where they sailed at Frankston YC until the late 1990's.
The 16 ft Skiff national titles have been held in Victoria 5 times. The most recent were held at Royal Geelong YC in 2007 as part of a multi-skiff carnival.
16 ft Skiffs currently sail in NSW and Queensland. They are still one of the most popular classes in Australia.

For more details on the 16's plus photos of the current boats see the association website:    http://www.skiffs.org.au/
For a comprhensive history of the class:
We have had two classic 16s sailing at the Inverloch CWD Regatta (see photos on right) and hope to see more in the future.
Click on the link for a list of past national champions.
Click on the link for a film about a woman in the U.S. who found and restored a 1930's era 16 ft Skiff "Fury" and returned it to Brisbane.
Fury  is on display at the Queensland Maritime Museum:
This skiff has dropped its working jib and set a "ballooner" jib for the reaching leg. 
"Evelyn 3" winning the national title in Port Phillip Bay swell 1953
16 ft Skiffs on Sydney Harbour 1903/04 season.
This skiff, "Rainbow" is reputed to
have been the boat that was measured 
to establish the class restrictions. 
16 ft Skiffs used to drop ther jibs so they could swing the spinnaker pole across when gybing.
1959/60 Australian Championships
                 Clifton Gardens
"Sparkler" Royal Brighton YC
"Gazeway" 1971/72
Australian Champion

"Evelyn XII 1963/64
Australian Champion
sailing with ballooner
reaching jib.
"Buckle Toyota" 1978/79
Australian Champion

In 1983 a 30sq. metre double-luff spinnaker was introduced and in 1986 the crew number was reduced from four to three. Fibreglass construction was allowed in 1973.